is an environmental bacterium that can survive under a very wide range of physicochemical conditions, multiplying at between 20 and 45 °C but being destroyed at above 70 °C. Its optimal growth temperature is 35–37 °C. Its natural ecological niche includes surface waters such as lakes, rivers and pools, where it forms part of the bacterial flora. The bacterium may go on to colonise urban supply systems from these natural reservoirs and enter domestic water (hot or cold) or other systems that require water for their refrigeration processes via the water supply network.
On occasions, the poor design, lack of maintenance or incorrect maintenance of such installations favours the stagnation of water and accumulation of bacterial nutrients, such as sludges, organic matter, corrosion products and amoeba, which may form a biolayer. The presence of such a biolayer, together with an appropriate temperature, explains the proliferation of Legionella
to concentrations that can lead to infection in humans.
Furthermore, if the installation contains a mechanism to produce aerosols, the bacterium may be dispersed into the surrounding air. The resulting water droplets containing the bacterium may remain suspended in the air and penetrate the respiratory apparatus upon inhalation.
installations most commonly found to be contaminated with Legionella
and identified as sources of infection include cold human drinking water circuits, domestic hot water, cooling towers, evaporative condensers, humidifiers, whirlpool baths, evaporative conditioners, sprinklers, fire hydrants, ornamental fountains, etc. in health centres, hotels and other buildings.
Ever since the Group's parent company OX-CTA was founded, its increasingly more important R+D+I+A (research, development, innovation and its application) department has allowed us to find the most suitable and personalised solutions for each case, going above and beyond simple compliance with current legislation (European, national and regional).
SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE ENVIRONMENTAL PACK
1) OX-CTA undertakes an initial inspection of the installations based on the HACCP system
2) RISK ASSESSMENT
- Form the HACCP Team.
- Describe the product and its use as well as analysis of the process using a flow chart.
- Analyse the risks and identify the preventive measures.
- Determine the critical control points.
- Establish critical limits that should not be exceeded.
- Establish a monitoring system and corrective measures.
- Establish verification procedures.
- Control the documentation.
3) PRODUCTS: OX BIOCIDES
- OX's specialised technical staff perform a risk assessment to identify risks and provide an objective and numerical risk assessment that will form the basis of the working proposal.
- Water source: Initial quality or possible contamination.
- Stages: Storage, treatment, etc.
- Elements and equipment: Tanks, collectors, dosing pumps, etc.
- Materials: stainless steel, PVC, copper, etc. found in pipework, equipment and their elements.
- Circuit diagram.
OX-CTA has its own development and production line for products to control Legionella
with clear differentiating advantages with respect to more conventional treatments:
Greater stability and efficacy due to the incorporation of OX nuclei in their formulae.
Cost and time savings:
- Contact times are minimal, thus leading to significant savings.
- The doses applied are optimal for disinfection and lower than those used for other biocides under similar conditions.
- pH does not affect the efficacy of our products.
- They are effective at high conductivity.
- They are even stable at 80 °C.
- They can be homogeneously distributed over the entire mass of water to be treated.
Easy to use as they are applied using automatic dosing systems. Furthermore, the residue levels can be measured instantly using a biocide residues kit.
Additional benefits include the elimination of scaling and biofilms as well as Legionella .
In terms of environmental impact:
- They are 100% biodegradable.
- They are non-toxic and harmless for the handler and the environment.
- As they are completely harmless, any overdose becomes unimportant.
Finally, they do not corrode materials at the recommended usage dose.